Nannyjob Community Area
August 20, 2017, 10:00:29 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Montessori & Early Years - How different are they?  (Read 1285 times)
EllaMoo75

« on: September 03, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »

Starting my OU BA in childhood and youth studies shortly but still considering taking the EY Level 3 and or Montessori???
I am already degree educated in a totally different field with a 4 year degree from a US college overseas....no  honors system there unfortunately...
Would love to teach...but the route seems so complex and competitive?!
Plus Im having to retake my maths GCSE as although have 8 o levels ( from way back when!!) maths was not my strong point.  This is totally understandable as I do agree all early years educators should have the basics covered in terms of the newer regulations on having maths, english and sciences...
Just wondering if any of you have also studied with Montessori...and how is their approach different and did you find it easy getting a role in the UK...
FYI Im in my 40s so not a spring chicken
thank you
EM
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 06:33:52 AM »

Hiya.

I am pretty sure with the BA you will be counted as qualified staff, but do check as I am not totally sure of that.. but in the meantime if it is easier/quicker for you to take the Level 3 then do. I did my Level 3 a few years ago through MNT as I didn't have a UK childcare qualification, nor one that was transferable. I am starting the Level 4 Montessori tomorrow, through distance learning. I've studied it before but never got the qualification. It is through MCI so worth having a look as you can do the Level 3 through them too, it is the Cache EYE qualification but you get the Montessori in with it too. You can either do it part-time, I think this September intake goes on Thursdays - it starts this week, or by distance learning. With distance learning you have to do a 2 week apparatus workshop and for both attendance course and DL you have to do 400 hours teaching practice. They say it's about 16 hours per week of study. Theory part of course takes 1 academic year, and you have 2 years to complete the workshop and teaching practice too.
You'd have to look into Montessori as it's a lot to explain, but basically there are Montessori materials that are introduced to the children and they work with them in a work cycle, take from shelf, do, complete, put back.. the materials are very specific as in they only introduce one concept at a time like height or width or shape. Never colour and shape in one thing. It is a 'prepared' environment, some people would call it very rigid, but there is freedom for the child within the environment. They choose what they want to do so long as the materials have been introduced to them. Montessori is popular and is worth having even if you just want to nanny.
Could you do a PGCE with your degree you already have?

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
EllaMoo75

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »

Hi Minime

thanks for the response...Im waiting for my US college to get back to me with a transcript to see if I can find out if my GPA is in anyway equivalent to honors or 2.1 ( I highly doubt it).  I am really confused about the whole system here in training to become a teacher if Im honest.  I don't think I could do the PGCE and def not till I get at least the grade C in maths GCSE sorted which Im now starting as well,

The Montessori diploma looks really interesting....is the course your doing approx 1750??  I think I looked at it last night ( with apparatus course)....

Are you planning to teach?

thanks

EM
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »

I wish.. no, it cost me 3,000. The Level 3 was slightly cheaper at I think 2,750.
They do another course for qualified people, which I could have taken with my Level 3, that is like the above courses, though I think more of an overview, but without the workshops/need for 400 hours.

Not sure yet whether I nanny with it or go into a Montessori to teach. I will see. I'm currently working in a daycare but hate it. I think sessional care with the older children (3/4/5 year olds) is much more my thing.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
EllaMoo75

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »

Whoa big bucks but Im sure will be worth it...I keep reading how well accepted Montessori is.  I think I would like to take some of their courses

Im still waiting to hear from MNT whether I can take their online L3 Cache EY course without my C grade maths ( I will retake maths and hopefully get the grade C by next June)...

Can I ask what you don't like about your daycare role? 
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »

Whoa big bucks but Im sure will be worth it...I keep reading how well accepted Montessori is.  I think I would like to take some of their courses

Im still waiting to hear from MNT whether I can take their online L3 Cache EY course without my C grade maths ( I will retake maths and hopefully get the grade C by next June)...

Can I ask what you don't like about your daycare role? 

You can take the Level 3 without the maths as it doesn't matter for that. Where it does matter is that if you take a job in a nursery you won't be counted in the ratios. I would think it would be hard to get a job because obviously nurseries work to ratios as they save money having the correct amount of staff versus too many.

Ha ha. It would be easier to say what I like about my job!! Having been a nanny for a long time I struggle with not being able to give each child/baby the attention they deserve. And some staff members are just plain lazy and do not and will not pull their weight. I come home on my knees most nights I am so exhausted. And the pay is pretty bad.

EllaMoo75

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »

Minime

Yes does seem like salary is so low....hopefully with your Montessori diploma....will improve

Thats good then that I could do the level 3 ---- if I am concurrently doing my maths GCSE should have it by the time its done with so would be ok no?

Anyways best of lucky with your Montessori...would love to hear more about it when you get stuck in

EM
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:20:18 PM »

I'm lucky that I did my Level 3 before the rule changes for maths and English. I do have them but not from the UK and it is such a hassle proving it as I am like you, no spring chicken, and all the school exams have changed so much since I did them.
If you want to work as a nanny then maths and English won't matter at all.
Still getting my head around the workload for the Montessori.. will go slow and steady. They opened 2 of the subject areas last night but I was too tired to look properly, though did a little.
I quit my job too Smiley couldn't stand it any longer, and turned down a part-time nanny role as the pay was dreadful (they dropped it from what they had originally said!!), but it will be nice to take a break, enjoy my other half who has been away for 6 months working, and be able to study too.

Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: