Nannyjob Community Area
October 23, 2017, 04:23:34 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you do re nursery???  (Read 1508 times)
asg198
Official Timewaster

« on: January 26, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »

Hi my son has been at nursery/pre school since last Jan when he was 26 months old. He had been on the waiting list since before they opened in October 2013 so they were about 14 months open when he started. From when we put his name down he has been down for two mornings for 9 months then one full day and a morning for a year, then two full days for 8 months and then the last 4 months before he starts school he would also do an extra morning.

He turned 3 at the beginning on Nov and they are now telling me that they can't move him up to pre school until September coming (so he would be nearly 4)

It is an open nursery where all the ages of children do mix together lots during the day but I have noticed lately they have been spilt into pre school and toddlers/babies more lately than I ever noticed they were in the last year.

He is a bright boy can count to 100, knows all his letters and can spell some words, knows all his colours and shapes and did before he even started there. So when I hear his group have been learning about blue and triangles for example I do think he should/needs to be in pre school group where they at least look at numbers and letters too.

What would you do Huh I really don't want to take him out of there as he loves it (is a forest school so does get that learning too)

But I do feel as they have known since they opened that he would need a pre school space that they should of kept a space open for him from Jan or even moved him up after oct half term, esp as his key worker was giving him pre school test sheets last July which he was passing with 100% when most of the pre school children then weren't!

Thanks for reading my rant! Just needed to put it all down in writing and hopefully get others opinions on it.
tigger
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:47:41 AM »

I would have a word explaining the situation and ask then to do the numbers and letters with him, my nephew who had out grown the section he was in, but wasn't old enough to move up to the next group. The nursery brought the next groups work for him to do. We also supplied them with things from home to stretch him.
asg198
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »

Thanks I think they do try to do pre school stuff with him but with all the little ones as well not easy. They have the babies and toddlers together so 18months to 3yrs or as is the case now nearly 4!

I will see what they say on Thursday when i collect him as they know I wasn't happy to find this out two weeks ago and if no real answer will arrange a meeting with the owner/manager (she is only there part time as has two nurseries)

Thanks
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

Definitely have a chat. If it is an open nursery as you you say then ratios for each group shouldn't be the problem so hopefully there is a chance he could go over to the older group when they are doing pre-school work.
I totally agree with you that the nursery should have known he would be needing to go up and should have kept a place for him. I think it is wrong that they didn't. I get a bit tired of the 'we run a business' line when the children are the ones losing out. If it wasn't for the children you wouldn't have a business but people don't see that.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
asg198
Official Timewaster

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »

Thanks as I say it is advertised as an open nursery so no set rooms for the age groups and I am pretty sure that's how it was most of last year but have noticed more in the last couple of months that at drop off and collection he goes a different way to before ie to the left of the main door which is where the little ones are rather than to the right which is where everyone seem to go before for circle time, now they have seperate ones.

Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: