Nannyjob Community Area
June 27, 2017, 09:52:44 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National Nanny Training Day  (Read 5675 times)
mm
Official Timewaster

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »

in reference to the above, 'why spend 20 gbp to hear one speaker etc...''

Some nannies and childcare professionals enjoy networking  Smiley

Those that wish to attend, will purchase  a ticket, others wont... Cheesy

To many, £20, to meet others in the industry, have a good and interesting afternoon out etc, is worth it Smiley
[/quote]

that is all good for you LLL2007, I hope you enjoy your time.

I, on the other hand, like to know what I am getting for my money. This is a board on which personal advertising is not allowed and I think promoting own company is just that, then I am asking why?

I have asked on several occasions what are all the statements about, yet I was provided with vague answers. This is not what I call professional.
LLL2007
Official Timewaster

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »

Mm - I am not going as I have commitments.

However, its 'advertising' for nannies / childcare professionals in the industry, its not an event that's being advertised for 'personal gain' .

Anyway, I hope you are well, have a great time if you go.
mm
Official Timewaster

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »

Mm - I am not going as I have commitments.

However, its 'advertising' for nannies / childcare professionals in the industry, its not an event that's being advertised for 'personal gain' .

Anyway, I hope you are well, have a great time if you go.

The personal gain has not been assessed as not much relevant information was provided apart from vague statements, such as British nannies are lacking behind the North American nannies and two websites both with no clear information about the membership fees and credentials.Where is the evidence for those statements? Why should nannies not be asking: What am I getting for my money? What is the value of the certificates issued? Who accredited them? Who can reference for The Baby Guru?
helcal

Stressed out!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »

Quote from: LLL2007 link=topic=73168.msg1044470#
[/quote

The personal gain has not been assessed as not much relevant information was provided apart from vague statements, such as British nannies are lacking behind the North American nannies and two websites both with no clear information about the membership fees and credentials.Where is the evidence for those statements? Why should nannies not be asking: What am I getting for my money? What is the value of the certificates issued? Who accredited them? Who can reference for The Baby Guru?

If you went on the Nannypalooza.com you would see they do not charge membership fees as they organise conferences and Training days.
nanny.org is the International Nanny Association or INA for short. It has members worldwide and their fees are $45 per year which is clearly stated in the membership section.

I have no personal gain in this but feel Nannies get a lot of bad press and if I can bring a group of like minded professional people together for a fun afternoon then that is my goal.

I also organised 2 of the Christmas exchanges on here as wwcc72 but had to re register as I couldn't remember my login.

I am not advertising my company as I am not an agency.

Sorry you feel this way.

mm
Official Timewaster

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

Quote from: LLL2007 link=topic=73168.msg1044470#
[/quote

If you went on the Nannypalooza.com you would see they do not charge membership fees as they organise conferences and Training days.
nanny.org is the International Nanny Association or INA for short. It has members worldwide and their fees are $45 per year which is clearly stated in the membership section.

I have no personal gain in this but feel Nannies get a lot of bad press and if I can bring a group of like minded professional people together for a fun afternoon then that is my goal.

I also organised 2 of the Christmas exchanges on here as wwcc72 but had to re register as I couldn't remember my login.

I am not advertising my company as I am not an agency.

Sorry you feel this way.

Let's stay on the topic here rather than discuss Christmas exchanges. You have put up a post about Nanny training day, 4 hour event that cost £ 21.79 - £32.09. I am again asking what kind of training will a nanny receive for the price she pays?  Who accredited this training? Who accredited the certificates that you said you will be issuing? What are the topics that the guest speakers - an agency owner and a personal chef are going to discuss. What are the credentials of these guest speakers?

You are saying that your company sponsors the event, yet you charge a ticket price and claim that should their be any money left over it will go to the charity? What does the ticket pays for?

You have also stated that:" American nannies are leaps and bounds ahead of us here in UK." Yet again, I am asking in what way are the American nannies ahead of the nannies in UK? Whose conclusion is that, what is the evidence, what are the credentials of the person(people) who issues such a comment?

I do apologise, I have now found the page that states the membership fees for the organisation that you have linked.
helcal

Stressed out!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »

I am not going to get into a argument here.

There is enough information out there on social media.

No one said its an accredited day so I am not sure where you got that from.

If you want to come then we look forward to meeting you.

Tanja Jelley is talking about how to present your CV and yourself at Interview

Juliet Cain will be talking about cooking and Nutrition in children.

Lets hope we can draw a line under this.

helcal

Stressed out!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »

I like the idea of a chef but not so much of yet someone else from a nanny agency. That to me is them being allowed to plug themselves and their agency and not much more unless you were a nanny (or wanting to be a nanny) new to the whole nannying scene.

I agree with mm. The American educational system is not the UK system so that is irrelevant. Unless there are some great ideas to be shared.

I actually think a link between the UK and the USA is a good idea but the USA has a long way to catch up with the UK in terms of professional nannies. What exactly is the link though? Is there something special going on for it?
I'm currently living as an expat and know of many Nth Americans who babysit (not nanny) to fill in between studying and travel. To them and their mostly Nth American (expat) employers they are babysitters not professional nannies as the UK would see it. So I believe any linkup would benefit those in the USA far more.

Where are the proceeds of the day and the raffle going to?

Any profit goes to Action for Children.
NannyPalooza is the most amazing company set up by a Nanny for Nannies. They do a 2 day conference every year and have been running for 11 years.  www.nannypalooza.com
All the nannies I know and have personal met in the USA are Nannies not babysitters and if we called them that they would go mad.

Agree the educational system is different but that is not what we are talking about but they have far more things for Nannies than we do hence why I have asked if I can bring this over to the UK nannies.

I am really sorry if I upset anyone

MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 01:10:16 PM »

I don't think you have upset any one. Good on you for trying to help nannies. I just think 'Training Day' is misleading.
Could you try and turn it into a nanny fair? Obviously not this year but in the future. Have speakers - sign up for their presentation etc., have classes - sewing, make something, cooking for babies, toddlers, family meals.., how to classes, etc. but also stalls etc. Stalls for info, stalls selling nanny things, like diaries etc. Goodie bags are always good.
Personally I am not a fan of the US of A, nor are many I know, including expats. Therefore the link doesn't mean anything to me. I would be advertising the Britishness of nannies personally, not over-emphasising the USA bit.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
helcal

Stressed out!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »

I don't think you have upset any one. Good on you for trying to help nannies. I just think 'Training Day' is misleading.
Could you try and turn it into a nanny fair? Obviously not this year but in the future. Have speakers - sign up for their presentation etc., have classes - sewing, make something, cooking for babies, toddlers, family meals.., how to classes, etc. but also stalls etc. Stalls for info, stalls selling nanny things, like diaries etc. Goodie bags are always good.
Personally I am not a fan of the US of A, nor are many I know, including expats. Therefore the link doesn't mean anything to me. I would be advertising the Britishness of nannies personally, not over-emphasising the USA bit.

We have goodie bags and as it was an American Idea hence the name National Nanny Training Day.

We have lots of exciting newscoming which I will post about in May.

Feel free to message me if you want to know more MiniMe.

I had a great response to our National Nanny Night out we held in February and we will be doing more.

mm
Official Timewaster

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 03:59:35 PM »

I am not going to get into a argument here.

There is enough information out there on social media.

No one said its an accredited day so I am not sure where you got that from.

If you want to come then we look forward to meeting you.

Tanja Jelley is talking about how to present your CV and yourself at Interview

Juliet Cain will be talking about cooking and Nutrition in children.

Lets hope we can draw a line under this.

You yourself are advertising it as a Training day. You yourself said that you will be issuing certificates. You charge for tickets. You advertise. Therefore you should be prepared to answer what kind of training is provided, what kind of certificates are provided, what does the money for the tickets pay for?  Otherwise I find this approach rather arrogant. If it is a networking day, advertise it as such. If it is your activity, advertise it as such. It is time nannies start asking what do my money pay for, what is the value of this. How does your event raises the professional status of the nanny?

there was a child expo a couple of weeks back. Free entry, speakers, goody bags. I have mentioned previously that there is BAPN - British association of professional nannies. Who offer all sorts of help, offers and advice relevant to nannies in UK. There is also Morton Michel, the childcarer's insurance company. They offer free legal advice and publish a monthly edition of childcare magazine Creative Steps. There are free courses related to childcare with Open University - eg. The way children learn. There is a play course and a course about the role childhood plays in forming the kind of person the child becomes on FutureLearn - also free of charge. There is Nutrition for children with Coursera - free of charge. There is also a meet up section on this board, which allows nannies to look for other nannies working in the area. There are a few nanny groups on Meetup. All for free. Yet again I am asking you what kind of training does your event deliver and how does it raise the professional status of nannies working in UK. I am also asking you to clarify your earlier statement about theAamerican nannies to be leaps and bounds ahead of us. Because as I see it so far, this statement is rather derogatory, and without any credible evidence holds no water.

LLL2007
Official Timewaster

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »

Mm - you just asked / said above - what does the money for the tickets pay for?

^ the ticket price will obviously have to cover the basic costs - for example, the venue alone - to hire....

mm
Official Timewaster

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »

^ the ticket price will obviously have to cover the basic costs - for example, the venue alone - to hire....

Obviously? Many meeting rooms are free of charge in London. The event is advertised as nanny training day. Not a meeting in a church hall. Would you agree that the two are very different and also that 2pm - 6pm is hardly a day?
LLL2007
Official Timewaster

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »

Obviously? Many meeting rooms are free of charge in London. The event is advertised as nanny training day. Not a meeting in a church hall. Would you agree that the two are very different and also that 2pm - 6pm is hardly a day?

you almost seem on a 'mission' to try and dis-credit this event

you don't seem keen to purchase a ticket as you don't seem to feel the event is worthy of your money, and are asking question after question which is actually coming across in quite a discouraging way to myself and others.

woman should build each other up, not knock them down.

I think its great that this event (and others), have been planned Smiley

So perhaps the event has day in the name, yet Is 2pm til 6pm, but in the grand scheme of things, does that really matter?  Particularly when you have made it clear that you are not exactly supportive or encouraging of this.

like I said above, women should build each other up, not knock others down.
mm
Official Timewaster

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »

you almost seem on a 'mission' to try and dis-credit this event

you don't seem keen to purchase a ticket as you don't seem to feel the event is worthy of your money, and are asking question after question which is actually coming across in quite a discouraging way to myself and others.

woman should build each other up, not knock them down.

I think its great that this event (and others), have been planned Smiley

So perhaps the event has day in the name, yet Is 2pm til 6pm, but in the grand scheme of things, does that really matter?  Particularly when you have made it clear that you are not exactly supportive or encouraging of this.

like I said above, women should build each other up, not knock others down.

false advertising matters. I am all for raising the status of a professional nanny which I believe this event does nothing for contrary to its claims. I have asked valid questions that have not been answered. Women building women up? That might be the goal of the Women Institute, but should not be the basis for supporting an event that is clearly misleading.
helcal

Stressed out!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 07:40:59 PM »

You have put up a post about Nanny training day, 4 hour event that cost £ 21.79 - £32.09. I am again asking what kind of training will a nanny receive for the price she pays? 
The nanny will receive guidance in how to present her CV to potential employers and cooking for children along with the latest guidelines in nutrition.  Maybe the word Training is misleading and as MiniMe suggested the word Fayre maybe better to use in future. understand that vagueness so far has been frustrating, however this is the first time I have organized such an event and have taken all comments and feedback on board in order to give more clarity and details.

Who accredited this training? Who accredited the certificates that you said you will be issuing?
No one is accrediting the course and it has never been advertised as one. The certificates are for attendance so you can show you have committed to an afternoon learning new things or just brushing up and refreshing your knowledge.

What are the topics that the guest speakers - an agency owner and a personal chef are going to discuss? What are the credentials of these guest speakers?
The Agency owner is Tanja Jelley a former Nanny who now runs Mortimer Nannies. She will be speaking on how to present your CV to potential employers and checking over nannies CV’s if they bring them along. No need to register with her agency unless you want to.
Juliet Cain, a personal chef, has been working in the catering world all her working life since she gained a Cordon Bleu Diploma from the Tante Marie Culinary Academy in 1992. Juliet loves working with families, offering a range of fresh, healthy, and nutritious food options, all cooked in their own homes. Juliet hosts cookery workshops in Chiswick and relishes the chance to share her ideas and tips based on her experience cooking for children.

You are saying that your company sponsors the event, yet you charge a ticket price and claim that should their be any money left over it will go to the charity? What does the ticket pays for?
My company is hosting the event for the first time this year. I searched at great length to find a central London venue that did not charge but could not find one with availability on the date needed. Some venues wanted to charge in excess of £1000 so finding St Lukes at £360 was the option I took. We are providing afternoon tea which will consist of sandwiches, scones, jam, cream, cake, selection of teas, coffee and soft drinks. The raffle prizes (included in the ticket price) which have been donated are: 2 Tickets to a West End Show Choice of Wicked, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Kinky Boots, Drive A Child course, INA years membership, Hotel Chocolat Chocolates and of course the usual raffle prizes: CChampagné, manicure, spa toiletries. 

again, I am asking in what way are the American nannies ahead of the nannies in UK? Whose conclusion is that, what is the evidence, what are the credentials of the person(people) who issues such a comment?
Maybe I shouldn't have made a comment like that as what I mean is that they seem to have lots of events which try hard to raise the professional profile of the nanny, and encourage groups of nannies from different states to meet up and support each other. The original British nanny has an enormous amount of heritage, but I was honestly inspired by what I saw in the US. I lived and worked in Florida for 3 years and I was under the impression that they were all gap students or babysitters. Then in 2014 I discovered a conference called Nannypalooza - a 2-day conference for nannies run by nannies. I met professional likeminded people not the babysitters or gap students I was used to. Maybe their training is different and they don’t have the qualifications we have in the UK but most of them have the equivalent of a university degree, and consider nannying their career.
I know we have BAPN and PACEY here, however there are regular events in America, mentorships, and lots of nanny specific courses and workshops.
They support each other by organising and coordinating events that run on the same day in different States. This year National Nanny Training Day on April 16th has 32 events running and one international event here in London.
I hope this has addressed your concerns. We look forward to having an informative day of advice, guidance, and training on April 16th with good food, and the potential to make new friends.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: