Nannyjob Community Area
October 23, 2017, 04:29:04 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youth Mental Health First Aid course  (Read 3412 times)
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« on: May 14, 2015, 03:15:46 PM »

Hi,
Has anyone been on one of these courses? I have found a few but the dates don't work for me so wondered if anyone else had experience of it.
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »

Just out of interest has anyone even heard of these courses? 185 people have read it and no one has replied which suggests not.
I am doing one through my charge's school mid June so will report back afterwards. I think it could be beneficial to everyone working with young people. x
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »

No, never heard of them. Any idea of the content, as in, what they cover? I know that sounds obvious but I can't seem to pinpoint what they would cover apart from looking for signs/dealing with them/possible prevention... Would love to know what else.
I too, think they are a great idea and would love to see your feedback.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »

I only heard about them when I went to a talk at school about mental and emotional health and wellbeing of children. I *think* it is to understand how the mind works and the right ways to deal with situations and understand more about general mental health. There are a lot of courses run nationwide and I just thought I would love to know more about it. I have never had to administer CPR or any serious First Aid but I bet we are all administering Mental Health first aid on a daily basis. I think this is aimed more at people working with slightly older children and young adults as when some of the statistics were put to of us of eating disorders etc in relation to the school size it was pretty scary. I will let you know how it goes and if it is worth doing. I am very interested in this kind of thing. x
BlueCrush

My heart belongs to the Ocean 🌊 .

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »

I only heard about them when I went to a talk at school about mental and emotional health and wellbeing of children. I *think* it is to understand how the mind works and the right ways to deal with situations and understand more about general mental health. There are a lot of courses run nationwide and I just thought I would love to know more about it. I have never had to administer CPR or any serious First Aid but I bet we are all administering Mental Health first aid on a daily basis. I think this is aimed more at people working with slightly older children and young adults as when some of the statistics were put to of us of eating disorders etc in relation to the school size it was pretty scary. I will let you know how it goes and if it is worth doing. I am very interested in this kind of thing. x

PLS do - it's really interesting. Where did you find the course?

"Just passing through on another reef sojourn. Because the world doesn't end where the road does..." https://vimeo.com/35328567
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »

It sounds perfect for children/teens these days. I think we should all go to a course like this.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 10:42:56 PM »

here are some details http://mhfaengland.org/first-aid-courses/first-aid-youth/

The one I am doing is being provided by the brother of a teacher at the school my charge goes to. X
BlueCrush

My heart belongs to the Ocean 🌊 .

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »

here are some details http://mhfaengland.org/first-aid-courses/first-aid-youth/

The one I am doing is being provided by the brother of a teacher at the school my charge goes to. X

Thank you so much of this info Bringing In The Sheep. I will definitely sign up. Looks like the courses are popular - the ones in London are already full.

You have a perfect timing - I was just reading this morning about teenage girls: "Suicide kills more young women than anything. Here's why" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/11549954/Teen-girls-Suicide-kills-more-young-women-than-anything.-Heres-why.html

The World Health Organisation is raising alarm too: https://twitter.com/WHO/status/603574660756811776

"Just passing through on another reef sojourn. Because the world doesn't end where the road does..." https://vimeo.com/35328567
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »

Ove done a psychological first aid courses and trauma early intervention, both of which were very interesting. I think the MHFA course is probably along the same lines as the PFA and if it is then I'd really encourage anyone to do it.

Here to help! Kiss

If you PM and don't get a reply please try me again. 10 PMs is a quiet day or I might be busy with my day job Wink
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 12:11:39 AM »

I think something like this should be as standard as practical first aid for anyone working with children. I see the pressures of exams and homework  and think this all needs to stop ( my charge is 9) x
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:55 PM »

So there are some places available, the school have opened it up as not enough parents have signed up. The cost at the moment is 160 for 2 days Sat and Sun (this week 13th/14th) from 10am-5pm The cost will go down for every person that signs up, if it is full it will be 100 each.It is in Wimbledon so if anyone is interested and can commit 100% please message me x

Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 08:44:43 PM »

This got cancelled Sad Not enough people wanted to do it. Gutted.
snoozy

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »

Oh no. I was reading yhis thread with anticipation and than nothing at the end.
Keep us updated. There is one course on Coursera about psychology for children and young adults that I do at the moment.

Snoozy - name of my first long term charge's favourite teddy.
Bringing in the sheep
Official Timewaster

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »

I know I was so disappointed.  Angry I felt that everyone totally undervalued the importance of it. x
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: