Nannyjob Community Area
August 18, 2017, 07:07:12 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Structured learning  (Read 5492 times)
Nici1978

« on: December 18, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

My bosses have asked me to incorporate 30mins of structured learning into my charges day, so Im wondering if anyone has to do this, and what ideas you have that I could use.

I already do themes/displays and messy play as well as lots of physical activity.  I think they are wanting me to teach M to read and write, using proper teaching!  She's 2.5 btw!

creativenanny
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »

Ask them to specify what they mean. Then explain that all the play actoivities you do like painting drawing. Sand and water play are early literacy skills. And are very important.  A good book I use is Play with a Purpose by Dorothy Einon. Well worth getting your hands on from amazon as it expains how important play is and you can show the parents. Some people think children only learn when sat at a desk with a pencil in their hands but at that age they are still learning how to control their bodies let alone sit still for 30 mins. You can explain actovities you can do like Letter of the week. Poick a letter and collect ob jects that begin witjh the letter. Draw the letter and get her to paint over it. Then while out on a walk look for things that begin with the letter and take photos etc. These are all visual things that help keep parents happy but are not overy structured. Explain to the parents that if they want their child to be a good reader you need to read to her for at least 30 mins a day and structured learniong toime will be well used this way. Good luck. Let us know how they reply.
tigger
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »

Depending on the child there are many ways to tackle this.

Puzzles, develops thinking skills
Games like spot the dog, dice games like round and round develop counting and stratergy.
Threading beads with different colours, can teach patterns, colours, counting,
snap cards with shapes, numbers, colours on them. My First Colour & Shape Snap they also do my first numbers
Memory games, snakes and ladders.
Even elephant can be used to develop counting.
Letter puzzles can be used to teach abc.

Book wise, Kummon do some lovely mazes Easy Maze is the first, my old 2.5year old loved them and was addicted finish the first book in three days.Also Easy tracing by Kummon. Brighter Child Sequencing and Memory, Preschool (Brighter Child Workbooks Brighter Child Preschool Workbooks) another book my 2.5 year old liked, great for sequencing, cutting etc.
Schofield and sims do some nice nursery books which work on writting skills, counting, colouring. eg Nursery Writing Book 1 (of 6): Early Years [Paperback

Maybe some simple dot to dot of numbers.
Jolly phonics do books with initial sounds and you can trace the letter with your finger.

Colouring books, helps focus on pencil control,
Painting.
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »

I think if ask what exactly she meant first. Tigger has lots of examples of activities with a structures learning objective, nannykate is quite right about learning through play.

She may have a specific reason eg charge will be going to a nursery which is more a formal school type setting and she wants them to improve concentration or she may not realise what happens and what skills are acquired when 'just playing'.

Here to help! Kiss

If you PM and don't get a reply please try me again. 10 PMs is a quiet day or I might be busy with my day job Wink
tigger
Official Timewaster

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

Also when reading to your charge use your finger to show which way the text goes that your reading. It helps them learn left to right. Ask questions about the text , get them to predict what might happen next or recount the story.
vintage_gown

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »

FLW, any chance we could have this thread moved over to the Resources section? Looks like a good thread to keep and add to over time  Smiley
creativenanny
Official Timewaster

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »

Yes I agree . This thread can be a useful resource . Sorry about my spelling I was typing earlier on my blackberry ....
kitkat
Official Timewaster

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »

my thoughts 2 half is young and like other have they learn though play..
or outings
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:03:03 AM »

FLW, any chance we could have this thread moved over to the Resources section? Looks like a good thread to keep and add to over time  Smiley

Ask and ye shall receive.

Here to help! Kiss

If you PM and don't get a reply please try me again. 10 PMs is a quiet day or I might be busy with my day job Wink
tigger
Official Timewaster

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »

It depends on the child, some are ready for books others are not. If they are they will be very keen if not they will play up.
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »

M is 20 months and very happy to read and count and learn his colours. I guess that's kind of structured learning, but we don't sit at a table 9-9.30 and do it every day. It's much more fluid and may only be 10minutes.

I think setting the time aside to focus on basic skills is important though.

Here to help! Kiss

Blondiewoo
Official Timewaster

"I love....lamp!"

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »

At that age my charge was very interested in learning how letters were formed. She often asked me to do dots onto paper, and then she would join up the dots to make various shapes. Quite often do circles/triangles/squares, or letters and numbers, or even just wiggly/curly/jagged lines. Very good for pencil control and learning how to draw different shape etc.She could write her own name without help at 2 years 4 months by going over the dots time and time again, and she enjoyed it. Now I make up dot to dots with numbers, and she has to find the next numbers.... (she has just turned 4 now).

MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »

I've found introducing topics for that age group is a good idea for 'structured learning'. I really dislike 'pushy parents' and have always found a point where I can keep them and the child happy. A topic a week even if just a colour/few colours etc, a season, etc..
I've also introduced children of that age to Montessori and Steiner styles/materials which are great.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
Blondiewoo
Official Timewaster

"I love....lamp!"

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

I've found introducing topics for that age group is a good idea for 'structured learning'. I really dislike 'pushy parents' and have always found a point where I can keep them and the child happy. A topic a week even if just a colour/few colours etc, a season, etc..

I do this at the moment with my youngest charge. Maybe a topic will be over 2 weeks, or as long as it needs really for them to grasp it, and as many activities as we can find to go alongside it. I think it works really well actually....gives me some sort of focus when I am planning stuff to do with them, and yeah. Smiley I also put a letter in every week as well to focus on, and a number...give them colouring in to do relating to that letter or number etc.

Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: