Nannyjob Community Area
December 13, 2017, 05:33:05 AM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you doing with young charges in this weather!?  (Read 6395 times)
*Suess*

* LIVE * LOVE * LEARN *

« on: July 11, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »

I have x2 charges age 1 and 2

With this persisting wet weather I am at loss of what to do every day

We had 2/3 morning classes at gym/ music etc but they all finish this week until September now

I'm generally an out and about person and staying indoors for long frankly drives me insane!

We are based central London so Hyde park/ holland park etc are great but now it's literally raining pretty much all day we don't have a break to go there without drowning

So far this week:
Played in park in waterproofs/ umbrella - only prob with this is youngest is only just turned 1 so just walking and crawling through mud is only fun for so long so only passes short time then back for bath/ water play

We have played football in mud

Baked cakes and cheese straws, made den, play dough etc ( but all indoors again and youngest eats dough/ paint so doesn't last too long either)

Played with friends

Visited science museum ( now mega mega busy as every school child and tourist there so not much hope for quieting down over Olympics)

Iv no idea what to do over the summer, as with Olympic mania was planning on staying close to home and avoiding te transport as much as poss, so had thought picnics, paddling pool, sand, play in park with friends etc ( have large communal garden at work as well as private)

Any ideas? Places to go by foot from high street ken area? ( eldest is 2 but walks everywhere as have single only so not too far)

( sorry its so long..!)

My darling babies of Tutova - your smiles and laughter are contagious x

RIP - Ema-Elena  14/02/2008 -20/02/2010
Green_giraffe

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

im in the same situation, my charge doesnt do playdough/ paint/ bake ect (or atleast at play group he cant get away from the table quick enough)
ideas- farm, depending on your hours and how they sleep out maybe one fine?? day a day out to the beach.
not sure how it is for you to get but in twickenham from 23 july-31 aug there is a beach (richmond.gov for more info)
days out of london, playdates! lots of them!
*Suess*

* LIVE * LOVE * LEARN *

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »

We can't really go to far ( like Richmond tbh) as only have public transport as travEl option in week, and also both still sleep 2-3 hours after lunch and as I only use a sling or a single buggy there is nowhere for them both to comfortably sleep for that length of time.

Battersea park zoo is kinda awkward to get to but even so it's all outdoors so fairly miserable if it rains. Indoor play is a no no as I can't follow both and they are too young to go alone. ( actually have no Ida where nearest is)

Louweese

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »

Hi I have 3 18month olds only form of transport is walking with buggy! and hating this weather with them a simple walk is proving impossible at the mo (thankfully only there 1+1/2days a week) this week I brought the outdoor toys into their conservatory so they good still have different toys inside they've loved it, also sounds like your have to do alot of playdates (something I can't do as haven't met anyone in the area as unable to attend groups but that's another story) or messy/craft play Shaving foam has been ours this week, On my blog (webpage can be found on the arts and craft pages on here) there is a recipe for edible paint, also google or pinterest edible playdough there's lots of recipes out there. basic cooking

Library, have you got a pet shop near you you could go there and see if there are any fish, rabbits, hamsters etc to see this can easily please little one of your age
PheonixDior

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »

I would take them out in the rain in waterproof clothing like in forest schools and stuff. Its a different experience to going out in dry weathers. I volunteered at a school the other day and we all visited the brooks, it poured of rain but they didn't care at all and they had a blast. Obviously it depends on age, clothing and whether they can stand the rain or not but might be worth a shot if you can.

wwcc72

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »

sorry to here about the weather in South of France and its hot so have the oposite problem
LLL2007
Official Timewaster

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »

are you members of maggie and rose?..they've got their indoor play area
*Suess*

* LIVE * LOVE * LEARN *

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

Yes we already play out in the rain and are members at maggie and rose.

Maggie and rose is good but rather small when everyone piles in from the rain

FairyCake
Official Timewaster

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »

Have you considered asking the parents for these http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+pack-away-waterproof-dungarees-in-summer-jackets-and-rainwear+B2378? In Scandinavia they have a saying "Never the wrong weather, just the wrong clothing" my 1 year old will happily play out in the rain or wet sand and mud for ages, though im a bit over protective as he is pneumonia prone. His little pals love it too!

Other than toys he enjoys; pots and pans, kitchen utensils (wooden spoons hand juicer etc), play dough (with just fingers, utensils or his plastic farm animals), goop, dried pasta and bowls, cooked spaghetti, dried rice and tubs/spoons, painting, drawing, water play (bubbly/coloured/warm/icy), big boxes, hide and seek, kitchen roll tubes, ripping scrap paper, tin foil balls to go with his others, bubbles, balls of wool and ribbon etc

*Suess*

* LIVE * LOVE * LEARN *

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »

thanks for the ideas. i think iv mentioned a couple of times that we do actually go and play in the rain its just not pleasant all day!

we have all of this http://polarnopyret.co.uk/chldrens-rainwear !

duffas_friend
Official Timewaster

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

why are your charges too small for soft play? (sorry could have read that wrong?)

Have you been to latchmere leisure  centre they have a great pool and a soft play area too.
FairyCake
Official Timewaster

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »

thanks for the ideas. i think iv mentioned a couple of times that we do actually go and play in the rain its just not pleasant all day!

we have all of this http://polarnopyret.co.uk/chldrens-rainwear !

I understood that, but not everyone has the rain trousers which are fab. Yup, they are a lovely Swedish brand.

iggle piggle

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

hi im in glasgow,and the weather has done nothing but rain,its awfull.
hamleys toy shop is running a summer camp every day of the holidays,with different activities every day,we have been twice so far,
the kids love it.
also done soft play,swimming,play dates,library ect
*Suess*

* LIVE * LOVE * LEARN *

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:07 AM »

They are too small for the soft play near us IMO. The only one near us doesn't have a baby section so when I have one crawling one direction and one wandering another whilst larger older children barge around knocking them over I don't think it a) safe or b) fun for anyone

We do use the small soft play at maggie and rose as it is generally for under 5s

FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »

What about the smaller museums? Library? Swimming (in a pool, not the street!)?

I don't really know the area so can't help much!

Here to help! Kiss

If you PM and don't get a reply please try me again. 10 PMs is a quiet day or I might be busy with my day job Wink
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: