Nannyjob Community Area
October 19, 2017, 08:27:18 AM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recipes for children thread  (Read 24255 times)
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »

Post your favourite recipes here!

Please include what age the recipe is suitable for and help other nannies by saying whether the recipe is nut/egg/dairy free etc.

Here to help! Kiss

If you PM and don't get a reply please try me again. 10 PMs is a quiet day or I might be busy with my day job Wink
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »

I made this for a 9 month old, 14 month old and 2 year old at the weekend as it was about the only thing there were ingredients for. They (and their parents) loved it.

Ingredients:

olive oil
About 1/2 cup risotto rice (for 3 children)
half an onion, finely chopped
pinch of dried thyme or parsley
1 clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half
500ml of stock - I used a low salt organic vegetable stock cube made up with boiling water
a chunk (about 5cm thick) of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and chopped into small cubes
Grated parmesan (optional)

1. Boil the cubes of butternut squash until they are just tender. Drain and leave aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook, stirring ocassionally, over a low ish heat until it is soft and translucent- about 5 minutes. Don't let it brown.
3. Add the herbs and garlic and stir in.
4. Add the rice to the onion stirring for about 5 minutes.
5. Slowly add the stock to the rice - a little at a time and stir until the stock has been absorbed - the heat should allow it to simmer not boil rapidly.
6. Add the butternut squash to the rice, and keep adding the stock, a little at a time, stirring until absorbed - repeat this until the rice is cooked.
   You may need to add a little more boiling water if the rice isn't cooked ... just keep testing the rice until you feel it is. The butternut squash will squish down and turn the rice a lovely colour .. you can help it along by squishing most of it .. leave a few whole ish for a bit more texture.
7. Remove the garlic before serving. Stir in a small amount of parmesan at the end of the cooking time. I added a fraction of pepper as well.

The adults needed salt and pepper - it was a little bland for adult tastes otherwise. If you have time you can roast the butternut squash instead and add it near the end.

My own recipe adapted from lots I have tried. Enjoy.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
FairyCake
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »

Sugar Free Flapjacks - makes 16 small squares

Nut and egg free. Could also be made dairy free with a butter substitute like olive spread.

Ingredients

150g stoned dates, chopped (I've used prunes which were easier to puree and just as good
5 tbsp apple juice (I have also made with home squeezed orange juice as i'd needed its rind - very good too.)
150g unsalted butter (or margarine if you prefer)
100g sultanas (chopped dried apricots fab too as would any other dried fruits or even nuts for bigger kids)
225g porridge oats
1 tsp cinnamon (I add double this)

Method

Preheat the oven to 170oC (fan) slightly higher for non fan assisted.

Pour the apple juice over the dates and (try) to blend them together using a stick blender.  I say 'try' because it's fairly hard work.  Don't worry if they don't all blend in.

Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the date mixture and the sultanas.  Heat gently until it's all combined as some sticky goo.

Add the oats and cinnamon then turn into a lined deep square or rectangular baking dish sprayed with spray oil or greased with butter.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned on top.  Cut into 16 squares and leave until fully cooled in the dish (they break apart otherwise).

I started making this when Zachary turned 1 year, though suitable much sooner. Its pretty sweet, but all natural sugars so a nice snack treat or for a first birthday party. Every adult that has tried it loves it too, so its great for playdate.

FairyCake
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:11:03 PM »

Whoops, I meant to add the link where I found the recipe above http://mamacook.blogspot.dk/2012/01/sugar-free-flapjack-for-babies-toddlers.html

Baby Biscotti

Nut and dairy free (if using oil not butter). Contains EGG

The oblong shape and hard texture of twice – baked biscotti is ideal for little hands and new teeth; keep it plain, experiment with different flours (try barley or oat flour, keeping in mind that low-gluten and gluten-free flours such as oat tend to produce crumbly baked goods) or pureed fruits and vegetables to make your own signature biscotti. No matter what kind of teething biscuit you make, ensure you’re within arms’ reach of your baby at all times while he or she is eating – there’s no biscuit that’s completely resistant to crumbling and breakage.

Baby Biscotti

1/4 cup butter, melted, or canola or olive oil
1 jar pureed fruit or vegetable (try sweet potato) or large mashed ripe banana
2 large eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2-1 cup oats
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, beat butter, puree and eggs until smooth. Add the flour, oats, baking powder and salt and stir until almost combined; add any additions you want and stir just until blended. If it seems dry, use your hands to complete the mixing as the dough comes together. If it’s too sticky (this will depend on the puree you use), add more flour until you have a soft, stiff dough.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Divide in half and shape each piece into an 8” long log. Place the logs 2”–3” apart on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, and flatten each into a rectangle that is about 3” wide.

Bake for 20–25 minutes, until firm and starting to crack on top. Transfer the logs to a wire rack to cool for a bit and reduce the oven temperature to 275°F.

When they’re cool enough to handle (they tend to crumble when they’re still hot), place the logs on a cutting board, trim the ends and cut each log diagonally into 1/2”–3/4” slices with a serrated knife. Place the slices upright on the cookie sheet, spacing them about 1/2” apart so that there’s room for the air to circulate between them, and return to the oven for 30 minutes. If you like, turn the heat off and leave the biscotti inside the oven until it cools down to make them even harder. Makes about 2 dozen biscotti.

http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/01/29/new-school-teething-biscuits-baby-biscotti/

These were great and lasted for ages in an air tight tin. I used half normal, half whole spelt flours, olive oil and mashed banana. Not very tasty for me, as they needed sugar, but Z loved them, as did his little friends.

FairyCake
Official Timewaster

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »

Banana Muffins

Nut and sugar free. Could be made dairy free with butter sub. Contains EGG.

150g self raising flour + 2 tsp baking powder We cannot get SRF here
½ tsp cinnamon, nutmeg or mixed spice I double
60g butter
4 large very ripe bananas
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 190.
Sift flour into mixing bowl and add spices, make a well in the
centre.
Melt the butter and mash bananas into a thick puree. Add butter
and eggs to the banana and mix well.
Add banana mixture to the flour and lightly fold.
Spoon mixture into muffin cases (makes approx. 12) and bake for
approx. 15 minutes.

No link as got recipe from a friend. These are delicious, loved by all babies. I started making them around 9 months, but fine before too. Freeze well too and defrosted by lunchtime and room temperature.

Louweese

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »

Various homemade bake bean recipes as requested  Smiley

http://messageboard.nannyjob.co.uk/index.php?topic=66427.0
**Twinkle**
Official Timewaster

Need to win the Lottery!!

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »

Does anyone know the recipe for 'Firework cake' which is made in the fridge?

It contains chocolate, crushed biscuits,syrup,maltesers,crunchie and popping candy!!

I made it a couple of years ago and wanted to make it again for our Firework party but I can't find a recipe anywhere!

Thanks  Smiley

CaliforniaSunset
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »

I made this for a 9 month old, 14 month old and 2 year old at the weekend as it was about the only thing there were ingredients for. They (and their parents) loved it.

Ingredients:

olive oil
About 1/2 cup risotto rice (for 3 children)
half an onion, finely chopped
pinch of dried thyme or parsley
1 clove of garlic, peeled and cut in half
500ml of stock - I used a low salt organic vegetable stock cube made up with boiling water
a chunk (about 5cm thick) of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and chopped into small cubes
Grated parmesan (optional)

1. Boil the cubes of butternut squash until they are just tender. Drain and leave aside.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook, stirring ocassionally, over a low ish heat until it is soft and translucent- about 5 minutes. Don't let it brown.
3. Add the herbs and garlic and stir in.
4. Add the rice to the onion stirring for about 5 minutes.
5. Slowly add the stock to the rice - a little at a time and stir until the stock has been absorbed - the heat should allow it to simmer not boil rapidly.
6. Add the butternut squash to the rice, and keep adding the stock, a little at a time, stirring until absorbed - repeat this until the rice is cooked.
   You may need to add a little more boiling water if the rice isn't cooked ... just keep testing the rice until you feel it is. The butternut squash will squish down and turn the rice a lovely colour .. you can help it along by squishing most of it .. leave a few whole ish for a bit more texture.
7. Remove the garlic before serving. Stir in a small amount of parmesan at the end of the cooking time. I added a fraction of pepper as well.

The adults needed salt and pepper - it was a little bland for adult tastes otherwise. If you have time you can roast the butternut squash instead and add it near the end.

My own recipe adapted from lots I have tried. Enjoy.

I'll try this one
lallybird

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/purely-fruit-sweetened-brownies/#ZrZ2WvEV1rcGOJmS.97

I haven't tried these but i wil as my charge goes a bit..... well, nuts with sugar. I thought sugar buzzed kids anaolgy was a bit exaggerated, but as her diet is pretty strict, chocolate and sugar really does hype her up. She gets super angry. I love her dearly i hasten to add

Anyone else find this?!

Yum, banana muffins sound great

rosie doll
Official Timewaster

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »

Does anyone know the recipe for 'Firework cake' which is made in the fridge?

It contains chocolate, crushed biscuits,syrup,maltesers,crunchie and popping candy!!

I made it a couple of years ago and wanted to make it again for our Firework party but I can't find a recipe anywhere!

Thanks  Smiley

I have never made it with popping candy....brilliant idea. I would Google chocolate fridge cake !
lallybird

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:52:20 PM »

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/purely-fruit-sweetened-brownies/#zlDXUUy3Ek4QSk80.97

Purely Fruit Sweetened Brownies
200 grams baking chocolate (unsweetened chocolate)
½ teaspoon baking soda
200 grams pitted dates (about 10 dates)
3 eggs
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
In a food processor, pulse chocolate and baking soda until texture of coarse sand
Pulse in dates, then eggs, coconut oil and vanilla
Transfer batter into a 20 x 20 centimeter baking dish
Bake at 180°C/350°F for 26-30 minutes
Cool for 1 hour
Serve

The veritable icing on this healthy dark-chocolate dessert is that it’s not only gluten-free, it’s grain-free as well. Some might dare call it Paleo.

However, I’m not worried about the semantics of the healthy desserts I’ve been creating for over a decade. As always, I just want you to have something sweet after dinner, made of real food ingredients that won’t leave you with a high-carb hangover. So enjoy these Purely Fruit Sweetened gluten-free, grain-free brownies.

Check out my website elanaspantry.com for more vibrantly delicious, super simple, satisfyingly healthy recipes made with real food!  The site has tips for good living and over 700 gluten-free, grain-free recipes.

Read more at http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/purely-fruit-sweetened-brownies/#6GBcUm0oiOWRrKOr.99

Green_giraffe

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »

Banana flapjacks

Persoanlly i dont like them but a 18 month old, 4 and 6 year old and mum all liked it!

200 g oats
3 ripe bananas mashed
40ml butter or oil
1 tsp vanilla essecne
chopped dried fruit of your choice (i used apricots)

mix it all together and bake for 30-30 min at 180.

rosie doll
Official Timewaster

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 07:07:42 PM »

Banana flapjacks

Persoanlly i dont like them but a 18 month old, 4 and 6 year old and mum all liked it!

200 g oats
3 ripe bananas mashed
40ml butter or oil
1 tsp vanilla essecne

Nice and easy.. Just how I like a recipe !
We always have left over "over ripe" bananas at work. This would be perfect !
nannynz
Official Timewaster

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »

Banana flapjacks

200 g oats
3 ripe bananas mashed
40ml butter or oil
1 tsp vanilla essecne

I just made similar for my daughter. Used coconut oil and melted it first. I dotted some frozen blueberries on top as well. Have frozen some as she will never get through the lot and it means I end up eating them.

Can also do savoury versions with sweet potato and spices, I do with leftovers. And sometimes bung an egg in too. Lucky oats are cheap as we go through so many.
ReeFord

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »

Banana Muffins

Nut and sugar free. Could be made dairy free with butter sub. Contains EGG.

150g self raising flour + 2 tsp baking powder We cannot get SRF here
½ tsp cinnamon, nutmeg or mixed spice I double
60g butter
4 large very ripe bananas
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 190.
Sift flour into mixing bowl and add spices, make a well in the
centre.
Melt the butter and mash bananas into a thick puree. Add butter
and eggs to the banana and mix well.
Add banana mixture to the flour and lightly fold.
Spoon mixture into muffin cases (makes approx. 12) and bake for
approx. 15 minutes.

No link as got recipe from a friend. These are delicious, loved by all babies. I started making them around 9 months, but fine before too. Freeze well too and defrosted by lunchtime and room temperature.

Just so I'm on the same wavelength, you added baking powder because you can't get self raising flour? Sorry if I sound daft, you may get the hint that I'm not an experienced baker   Grin
Although I want to practice  Tongue

R Ford
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: