Nannyjob Community Area
August 23, 2014, 06:30:57 AM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tax question  (Read 508 times)
nanny nigel
Official Timewaster

« on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »

to cut a long story short i had a letter from the tax man saying i owe them over 800 from the years 08-09 and 09-10 as i didnt pay enough tax. they refused to give me the info i needed over the phone and today i got the info in a letter saying when i worked for an ex MB she didnt pay any tax on my behalf from jan 09-april 09. they want to take 75 a month extra tax off me over the next year  to cover the tax i should have paid in that time, but surely as i was employed and not self employed then its up to her to pay up and not me?. anyone had this happen to them or know what i do next???
Chilli chick
Official Timewaster

snow angel

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:33 PM »

I've had this happen to me, i just ignored it but then the temp family i was working for at the time paid it for me.

Ring up ACAS and see what they say but its up to you to make sure you were paying tax as it comes from your wages. But if she messed up then i personally think she has some liabilty.
NannyNick
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »

Not had this happen personally.

Would it be worth writing back to HMRC to tell them the details of your employer at that time and stating clearly that there was a NET PAY ARRANGEMENT in affect at that time.   

I take it that the pay at that time was a Net pay arrangement, rather than the salary having been agreed as Gross.

HMRC I suspect are assuming that you were paid a Gross salary, thus chasing you for the under payment.   

Ultimately I think you are liable but if you genuinely feel your former employer was at fault, then I would persue that as much as you can.   Dig out the contract from that job and see if that helps to show what the employer had agreed to pay.

Try to get some advice... CAB, a local accountant.     

nanny nigel
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

thanks. i went to the tax office this morning. the outcome of that is they can clearly see there is a fault, the ex MB didnt take the details from the p45 i gave her so didnt pay tax from jan - april when she should have, i dont have any pay slips from that time but i do have them from april-july and i also have bank statements stating she paid me the net wage and not the gross but in the tax mans eyes they dont care who pays it as long as someone does. she said i can write to tem and say i dont think i should pay it heres the evidence that it wasnt paid to me to forward on etc, or i can go knock on her door and ask her to pay up.
iv phoned the agency who got me the job and waiting for them to get back to me, hopefully they still have details and maybe able to help me. if not then il have no choice but to go and see her which i really dont want to but i dont want to pay for her mistake either.
amj86

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:20:59 AM »

This is currenlty happening to my friend her boss didn't pay her tax or ni she has told the tax office about it and they are investigating it. It's been ongoing for nearly 2 years!
Pages: [1] |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: