Nannyjob Community Area
December 12, 2017, 09:27:57 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a Portfolio  (Read 15550 times)
Tarenath

« on: May 19, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »

I'm currently looking for my first professional nanny position and I though it would be a good idea to have a portfolio since I don't really have childcare related references. What sort of things would you recommend I have? At the moment I have my CV, Early Years First Aid certificate, and will have my CACHE ICP certificate when it arrives (found out this morning that I passed, Woohoo!!)
creativenanny
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »

do you have placement refs, i presume you have some childcare experience as well as qualifications, hopefully.  ask anyone you even just baby sat for to give you a ref or otherwise get out and volunteer in a childcare setting and get some .

I'm currently looking for my first professional nanny position and I though it would be a good idea to have a portfolio since I don't really have childcare related references. What sort of things would you recommend I have? At the moment I have my CV, Early Years First Aid certificate, and will have my CACHE ICP certificate when it arrives (found out this morning that I passed, Woohoo!!)
creativenanny
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »

what is ICP
hwaddy
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

In my portfolio which I take with me to interviews I have-
First aid certificate
police check
ofsted registration
Copy of driving license
References
BTEC certificates
Upto date Cv

Think that's it, I also have a few Thankyou cards in there that I have collected over the years. Hope that helps, xx

Mrs W
Official Timewaster

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »

In my portfolio, I have..

CV
Certificates; ALL original certificates from qualifications/courses attended that I have gained, in date order
                 First Aid Certificate
                 All CRB Certificates
                 Nanny Insurance Certificate
                 Ofsted Regsistration Certificate

References; From each position I have held within childcare

Copies of my driving license, car insurance

I have a "working document" section, with meal planners/samples of menus/meals, reward charts etc etc

I also have a selection of childrens pictures and notes from children I have cared for

Within my portfolio, I also have a s c r a p book of photographs of activities I have done/places I have gone with my charges

It takes time to build up and I would just start with whatever you have/can get at the moment, ie.. references from families you baby sit for etc?

Good luck  Smiley

sparkly angel
Official Timewaster

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »

I have my CV

a list of referees with phone numbers

all my certificates etc

driving license / passport

all my references (& copys)

and a fre photos; 1 page for each year of nannying to see all my charges!

Rach109
Official Timewaster

South Wales

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »

I think keep it simple and have

CV
CRB
First aid cert
Any quals certificates / details of any courses attended / completed
Nanny insurance details & car insurance if applicable
Copy of driving licence if applicable

I only have names & contact details for references,and give those out @ interview stage

I don't have any photos etc either,or plans...

If offered the job, or a trial, then I would take with me lists of activities locally, and any meal planners, ideias of games / activities suitable for that particular families needs / ages etc

Tarenath

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

Thanks everyone. I have babysat but it was pre-children and have since lost contact with most of the people involved. I have my own 2 yr old now which makes placements difficult, especially since I can't afford childcare myself. I am going to be Maternity Nursing for a close friend who's due any day now and she's agreed to write me a reference once things have settled down though. Good idea about the meal planners and activities. Also I forgot about my CRB and Ofsted certificate when that comes through (in about 3 months time Roll Eyes )
FrenchLieutenant'sWoman
Administrator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 07:00:49 PM »

ICP - introduction to childcare practice

It's the minimum standard for OFSTED registration and counts as the first unit of the DHC.

I have:

CV
Academic certificates/qualifications - diplomas, degrees, anything that required some work to get!
Vocational certificates qualifications - First Aid, Food hygeine, short course attendance certificates
Letters of reference from anything vaguely related to childcare (hospital work, Guide association etc)
Copies of CRB
Copies of passport, driving licence and birth certificate

Here to help! Kiss

If you PM and don't get a reply please try me again. 10 PMs is a quiet day or I might be busy with my day job Wink
nannypoppins
Official Timewaster

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:16:59 PM »

In my portfolio I have:

Up-to-date CV
A page called 'My Background' where I talk about my family, why I work in childcare and a bit about me.
Qualifications and training certificates, inc First aid, Food Hygiene
Ofsted certificate
Nanny insurance certificate
Car insurance showing 'business use'
A couple of lovely childcare poems
Testimonials, references and thank you cards
CRB disclosure
ID - passport/driving licence/utility bill
Testarossa
Official Timewaster

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »

I have up to date CV,
Original qualification certificates, even my GCSE and NVQ in customer services!
Advanced nanny certificate
First aid certicate
All my original written references, of which there are now 11!
CRB.

I don't put in photos, plans etc, as that is all in my head and most parents will ask me at an interview anyway.

Do those with pics of ex-charges have to get parental persmission to put them in?
Mrs W
Official Timewaster

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:06 AM »

I have up to date CV,
Original qualification certificates, even my GCSE and NVQ in customer services!
Advanced nanny certificate
First aid certicate
All my original written references, of which there are now 11!
CRB.

I don't put in photos, plans etc, as that is all in my head and most parents will ask me at an interview anyway.

Do those with pics of ex-charges have to get parental persmission to put them in?

I do get permission to use photographs, but I never name the children on them anyway..

nannynz
Official Timewaster

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

Depending on ages you could act activity plans or menu planner.

In my maternity portfolio I have a bit about routines and why they are beneficial and what routine I aim for.

I also collect newspaper clippings/articles about child related studies etc.

I have a list of fav books for diff age groups, fav songs as well.
glittermonster
Official Timewaster

Emma

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 01:47:44 PM »

i was thinking about asked my "parents" of the children I've cared for over the years if they'd mind me putting a photo of their kids in my portfolio to go with the written reference I have.

Just to make it a bit more interesting/personal and more than just words, I think - it makes sense to me.

or is it a bit random!!

Mummy Knows Best
Official Timewaster

Enzo

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »

I have some photos that go in with refs.

Obviously I ask the perants' for permission before I put them in and as long as they say yes, the pic goes in.

At interviews, other parents seem to really like seeing the other babies that I have cared for

Pages: [1] 2 3 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: