Nannyjob Community Area
June 28, 2017, 06:32:48 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Literacy Ideas - Reading and Writing  (Read 8708 times)
Miss Pebbles
Official Timewaster

God Bless and Keep Safe

« on: May 02, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »

But can you help me find as many "we're going on a bear hunt" resources or tell me how you've used the bear hunt story etc.

I am hoping to use this on Thursday and really need some ideas so all ideas greatly recieved.

Miss P xxx
[/i][/color]

Is counting down the days till Mummies and Daddies come home!
TigerLilly
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »

At pre school they did there own so went outside had set up the swishy swashy grass, mud etc. i think they used stuff like silly string, different papers, and stuff like that and at the end they had a teddy bear in the trees as the bear. All the children love that story now.
Miss Pebbles
Official Timewaster

God Bless and Keep Safe

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »

Sorry just using here to put all my links before I loose them Grin

http://www.walkerbooks.co.uk/Were-Going-on-a-Bear-Hunt-Big-Book-0744547814/Teachers-Notes

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/story/bearhunt.html

http://www.literacymatters.com/resources/Weekly_Plan_EYT2W4.pdf

Is counting down the days till Mummies and Daddies come home!
Rach109
Official Timewaster

South Wales

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »

awww i love this story / song!

we used to use it ( a lot!) in playgroup,all marching round in a circle pretending we really were bear hunting lol !

** MRS BEAR **
NJ's Most Timewasting Timewaster!
Official Timewaster

I AM THE BEAR WHO CARES AND SHARES

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:22:06 AM »

I AM THE BEAR!!!!

at work E&Z and I go for a bear hunt in our garden  Grin

Dazzle
Official Timewaster

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »

Hiya,

The local pre-school I help out at, has just rung me up asking if I can go in and help them plan on friday morning, as apparently I have lots of fantastic ideas normally.

But I have to relate it to the EYFS but unfornately I havent got my copy to hand, and to be honest I havent really looked at it over the last year, as I have been nannying and all my activites dont need to be EYFS related.

So I am wondering if there is any kind people out there who can give me some ideas of activties to do with pre-school aged childredn, and how it links into the EYFS.
The topic is nursery rhymes.

or just any ideas would be fabby Cheesy

Thankyou lots in advance

x

kimmy78
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »

Oooh I like nursery rhyme stuff! Here's a few ideas:

*Humpty Dumpty: do a collage with paper bricks for the wall, egg shell pieces for Humpty.

*Mary had a little lamb: make a lamb out of a toilet roll, cotton wool and pipe cleaners

*Incy Wincy spider: use bits of coloured wool to mke a web on clear sticky back plastic (looks really pretty hung up on a window!)

*row, row, row your boat: make paper boats and float them in the water play table

Dazzle
Official Timewaster

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »

Oooh I like nursery rhyme stuff! Here's a few ideas:

*Humpty Dumpty: do a collage with paper bricks for the wall, egg shell pieces for Humpty.

*Mary had a little lamb: make a lamb out of a toilet roll, cotton wool and pipe cleaners

*Incy Wincy spider: use bits of coloured wool to mke a web on clear sticky back plastic (looks really pretty hung up on a window!)

*row, row, row your boat: make paper boats and float them in the water play table

Thankyou, Have now just got to work out how its links into the EYFS

Miss Sparkles

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »

Hi there,

Planning was one of my fav bits as a teacher!!  Your creative side can really shine and I think that it's great your nursery have asked you to help.  I wouldn't worry about how you link it the the EYFS so much as the others will probably do all of that business anyway.  Most of your ideas will link in someway as long as you think along the main headings in the EYFS.  I'm hoping things are similar (have heard about the new Every Child Matters) as i've not taught for a few years now but here goes:
Communication, Language, Literacy - learning the rhymes and repeating them, attempting to write a list of things some characters could need
Mathematical Development - some kind of sorting/counting/matching activity
Knowledge and Understanding of the World - solving a problem that the characters have e.g. humpty dumpty being an egg on a wall!!
Creative Development - the arty bits someone else suggested will fit in here
Personal, social and emotional development - thinking about the characters in the nursery rhymes feelings
Physical development - something active like doing actions to nursery rhymes which will involve co-ordination

I hope this maybe some use!!
Dazzle
Official Timewaster

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »

Hey,

Thankyou it does help.

I used to love planning, and me just doing it now has made me realise how much I miss it :-( I used to plan for the two year olds in my old nursery, as I was the head of the two years olds, and we had to use the EYFS before it came in, I found it really easy to use and understand, but I havent looked at it since my nannying started, so I need to get my head round it again.

The pre-school does the same themes every year, and they all seem really confused by the EYFS, so I want to help them if I can, and guide them in the way I have been taught, my old nursery used the reggio emila approach and it was fab!

These are the ideas I have come up with so far...............

3 little men in a flying saucer:
Using the tuff spot tray, put shaving foam in it, add tubes, (kitchen roll and toliet roll) small world people/aliens, lego, paint, glue etc so they can make rockets, space buggoes etc.
ask the children what they would like to do in space and what their home would be like in space etc.

1,2,3,4,5:
Buy a fish or two, and put them in the tuff spot, let them explore the fish, eyes, teeth etc, talk about teh texture of the fish, colours, use maginifying glasses to see the gills, ask questions, such a sour their eyes lik human eyes? cut the fish down the middle and look at its bones, look at the childrens reactions, and their reactions.

I hear thunder: lay out different clothes, waterproof and non waterproof, ask teh children to dress for wet weather, what might they need, take teh children outside and gently poor a watering can of water over them and see what happens.

Incy wincy spider: make spider webs from glue and glitter, let them explore the glitter too before glue is added. also take them oustide and hunt for spider webs.

Do you think these are ok? just need to link them now........

Miss Sparkles

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »

These sound fab - ur brave with the having foam!!! Sooo much fun!

It won't take you long to get your head around it or just go in with your ideas and explain that you didn't have the EYFS on you and they'l link them soo easily.

Just reading your ideas made me think there were really good links and I haven't used the EYFS for a while either
JessiNZ

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »

One of my charges is just learning to read/ recognise the alphabet and I was thinking that a cool craft-type activity for him would be to help him make an alphabet scrap book, ie for A he can cut out and glue Alligators, apples ect for C cars and Cats and crocodiles  

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of where to get the pictures to cut out from?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:34:19 PM by MiniMe » Logged
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »

Magazines - look in charity shops/newspapers at the weekends have magazines with pictures and sometimes give away kids posters.
Old books - again charity shops/car boot sales/libraries getting rid of old stock.
Travel agents - just pretend you are off on holiday somewhere and take one or two brochures.
Other brochures advertising days out.
Old photos.
Ask/look on Freecycle/look on eBay
Ask Granny if she has any old mags lurking about.
Ask at your local newsagents as sometimes they only send the covers of the unsold magazines back and dump the rest of it.
If you are really desperate then download some - 'google images' are good.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
rosie doll
Official Timewaster

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:36 PM »

On the subject of letters...... does anyone know where I can get scrabble letters from..... to make a picture !?!?
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 12:00:50 AM »

On the subject of letters...... does anyone know where I can get scrabble letters from..... to make a picture !?!?

It might be worth getting in touch with the manufacturer/distributor of the game and saying you've lost the bits, could you have replacements... I do this for a lot of kids games. You sometimes need to pay a nominal fee for replacements, sometimes not.

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: