Nannyjob Community Area
October 23, 2017, 04:31:47 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Development/Planning/EYFS  (Read 22889 times)
Dazzle
Official Timewaster

« on: August 29, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

Hey,

Does anyone have any ideas of themes or general activities I can use for my planning. My nursery is very into using natural resources, and us not pre making anything for the children. For example, role playing in cardboard boxes.

thanks in advance

sense on legs
Official Timewaster

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »

Nature?

Seeing as its coming up to Autumn going out and collecting leaves (KUW) , leaf collage (Creativity), using sand and water/earth and water/other natural materials for messy play, talking about the changes in the weather/the world around us/colours for literacy. Stones (link to numeracy size/shape/number), maybe some drama talking about animals and hibernation, storing things, treasure trail, autumnal cooking - soup if they're old enough?, then you can play with lentils etc.

What age group are you working with?
Dazzle
Official Timewaster

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:57:01 PM »

I work with 2 and a half to three year olds

your ideas are fantastic, its going to sound cheeky but do you have any more

sense on legs
Official Timewaster

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:52:19 PM »

Er....

How about doing a whole series on fairy tales - not Disney but proper Brothers Grimm type stuff? Loads of opportunity for dressing up and acting, and music, and creative arty stuff. Fairy stories ALWAYS offer linguistic development - also opportunity for emotional development talking about Hansel and Gretel - how they felt when they were lost, not going of with strangers...

I shall have a nosy round my Montessori training stuff too - never got on with it personally but sounds like your nursery would love it.

Another day/week might be stuff on water - freezing it and watching it melt, putting different coloured food dyes into water, dissolving/mixing solids in water, leaving a saucer by the windowsill and letting it evaporate, different sized containers (bonus points for letting the pour it and developing hand-eye co-ordination), different temperatures of water, if you can get hold of filter paper then pouring sand/water through filter paper and trapping the sand.

Will post if I think of anything more!

ETA Do they allow playdough? I'm always all for textured playdough - add rocksalt, glitter, tiny pasta shells.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:20:25 PM by nannyfran » Logged
Dazzle
Official Timewaster

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 09:04:46 AM »

ok cool thank you very much!!

I think I might do a topic on nature, thanks for all your great ideas.

Emelie
Official Timewaster

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 12:14:21 PM »

if u do nature see if u can get in touch with a local wildlife centre as they may bring i hedgehog or tortoise........... we did this at my old nursery but had an easy option as i have a tortoise!! the children loved her!!!

with that u can do nature walk collect leaves and do leaf rubbings paint them........ that kinda thing....
*NannyA*

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:01:14 PM »

My dissertation is surrounding the foundation stage curriculum in nuseries.

Hopefully someone can help me, Im a bit confused about this and cant find the right information. I have just read that in Sept 08 all nurseries, childminders etc. will have it compulsory to follow the FSC.  However, I thought it was already compulsory? Because if you are inspected by ofsted, this is what they assess you against, surely?

Are private nurseries exempt? Then how come they get inspected too? So confused, does anybody know?!
purple_daisy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

The new document is the Early Years Foundation Stage. This has combined the current birth to three matters and foundation stage curriculum guidance.

Some early years settings are already following this, but it is compulsary from september 2008

this is the new website

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/

it is extremely similar to the curriculum guidance for the foundation stage, but none the less a whole new document. I would imagine you can order a hard copy. your uni should have one.
*NannyA*

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »

Argh, when was this Early years foundation stage brought in? Dammit dammit dammit I didnt know and now I think my dissertation title might be wrong  Undecided

I take it some nurseries are following the old one though?  Huh

Oooooh cant believe they have changed it, that is so annoying. So now it covers birth to 5 then?!

What about ofsted registrations now, do you know about that?

Many thanks!!
Chilli chick
Official Timewaster

snow angel

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:00:16 PM »

All settings should still be following current one. New one doesn't come into effect till Sept this year and if you are inspected using new one you will you won't get a very good grading. I went on course to do with new foundation stage and they told us that one setting had already implemented new guidelines and they got OFSTED inspection and they didn't do very well.

Hope that makes sense.
*NannyA*

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »

That does make sense, thanks jess79

So do ofsted only inspect you IF you are following the FSC? (and state have to, private chose to?)

And if you are a private nursery, does that mean you do not have to follow it?
purple_daisy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »

there are some FAQs here: http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/site/help/about.htm#faq10

it would be strange to get a bad ofsted grade for following new documents as it is nearly exactly the same as the last 2. However, certainly nearly all settings are still on birth to three/foundation stage.

Cheeky Monkey
Mischief Maker
Official Timewaster

The usual Suspect!

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »

My college group were given copies of the EYFS pack a couple of weeks ago, and got to try and read as much as poss for homework over Easter, must, must do a bit more reading over next couple of days!

sense on legs
Official Timewaster

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »

The benchmarks for observation and some of the categorisations vary between the EYFS and the FSC, which might impact on the OFSTED grading if you're meeting the targets for the EYFS and they're assessing how you meet targets for the FSC. The reason for this is that when they categorised areas of development etc for birth to three they didn't follow what they'd laid down in the stepping stones of the FSC.

Childminders don't currently have to follow the FSC unless they receive the nursery grants or it's a requirement of their Network. They will, however, have to follow the EYFS.

Annie - Your dissertation title won't be wrong, you are following what is CURRENT practise in nurseries (assuming you hand it in by September!) but you should make reference to the EYFS which will become compulsory and the differences between them/impact of said differences. Ought to be able to get a chapter out of that. If you want any help IM me - my MEd thesis was on a very similar topic.

Sweet Caroline
Official Timewaster

Sweet Caroline

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »

Im having a chat with My DB tomorrow eve.
Theres a few questions that hes written down for me.
One of them being How am i managing the boys varying stages of developent?

I know i should know what to write but my minds gone a blank. Im also started to get a bit nervous about it all. (unfortunatly thats my nature  Sad).

Has any body got any advice on what i could say?.
Would really apreciate some wise words of wisdiom

Thank you in advance   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: