Nannyjob Community Area
June 27, 2017, 09:41:59 PM *
Nannyjob Home | Submit a vacancy | Search Jobs | Submit a CV | Search CVs | Contact Us
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
This page is sponsored by:
News: To view and post in the "Members only" section you have to login  or register

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salt dough and Play dough  (Read 14901 times)
littlemissy

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »

I dont use the salt...

I use flour, water, oil and food colouring....
Mrs L
Official Timewaster

Erica xx

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »

The recipe above will do just use food colouring and dont put any sparkles or anything in... all the ingredients are edible Smiley

though DOES have a lot of slat in it  Lips Sealed

that was what worries me the amount of salt in it

littlemissy

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »

U can make it without the salt and its the same.... I used to make it in the nursery i worked in Smiley

Then everything in it is edible and okay it still wouldnt be great if he ate it but there is nothing harmful in it Smiley
*kaysy*
Official Timewaster

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:23 PM »

Mine eat it but ONLY if I say don't eat the playdough, its not food! So if they try to eat it I ignore it and the soon realise it tastes yucky.
suzy_woo
Official Timewaster

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »

So if they try to eat it I ignore it and the soon realise it tastes yucky.

I do that too - and its especially yucky with the salt in. one lick and they wont try for seconds!
TERESA23

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »

Hi,
 I want to make hand prints using salt dough with the kids 4 Father's day. I tryed it today  by using 1cup salt 1cup plain flour and 1cup water. I had the oven on 100c and within half hr in the oven they had rised and you cudnt see the kids hand prints : /.

Any1 know why or no of any other recipes???

many thanks Smiley
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »

Here you are - courtesy of Playcentre message board in NZ.

Salt Ceramic Playdough

Ingredients:
1½ cups Salt
¾ cup Cornflour / maize
1 cup Water

Mix ingredients together in a pot, then cook over a low heat, stirring frequently until th mixture becomes solid. Turn out and knead immediately.

This makes enough for three to four children.

Leave for 36 48 hours to harden.

This playdough can be moulded into shapes, made into beads and used for making hanging decorations. Make any holes that might be required in the finished product before playdough is left to harden. It can also be painted after it has hardened.
If you want you can colour with food colouring when you add water, less colouring for a pastel colour is usually more desirable. e.g. hint of red makes pink, hint of blue makes baby blue.

SPARKLING SALT CLAY

1 cup cornflour
Approx. 1½ cups cold water
2 cups rock salt (regular salt can be used)
1 cup water

Thin cornflour with 1½ cups cold water until, it is as thick as gravy. Boil salt in 1 cup water. Add the cornflour mixture to the boiling salt water, stirring constantly to avoid lumping. Cook until mixture forms a large mass. Turn out onto wax paper and cool. Store in an airtight container. (Finished project may be dried in 250 F on for 1 hour, or allow to air dry.)

CORNFLOUR CLAY I (PORCELAIN TYPE)

Ideal for items under 3/4" thick

2 cups (500 ml) cornflour
2 cups (500 ml) baking soda
1¼ cups (310 ml) cold water

In a saucepan, combine cornflour and baking soda. Gradually add water until the mixture is smooth. Heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches a moist mashed-potato consistency.

Turn onto a plate, cover with a damp towel. Knead clay when cool enough to handle. Clay is now ready to shape into craft projects.
Children can add food colouring to make different colours. Roll out the dough into 1cm thick (under ½ inch) and have children make hand prints. Takes a long time to air dry or dry in a warm oven (200ºF) but it may brown a bit. clay may crack if items too thick or bulky

Place 3 cups flour, 1-2 tabs oil, plus colouring agent if colour desired. Then add ~3/4 cup boiling water stir well finish off by kneading with hands.
Use either Tempura paint powder or food colouring/ dye to add colour also sometimes we add an essence/ oil e.g. vanilla, lavender etc.. or make black dough and add glitter

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
TERESA23

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »

thanks it worked  Smiley

x.
MiniMe
FLW's flunky
Global Moderator
Official Timewaster

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »

These recipes for playdough are courtesy of Playcentre (my favourite place), New Zealand,

Individual Uncooked Playdough

1 cup Plain flour
½ cups Salt
1 – 1 ½ Tablespoons Cooking Oil
~ ¾ cups Boiling Water

Mix the dry ingredients and cooking oil together in a large bowl, then add the boiling water. Stir well until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if the mixture seems too sticky, then turn out and knead.

Uncooked Playdough - 1

1½ cups Salt
1½ tablespoons Cooking Oil
3 tsps Cream of Tartar *
3 cups Boiling Water
3 cups Plain flour
Colouring

Mix the first four ingredients together in a large bowl, then add the flour. Stir well until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if the mixture seems too sticky, then turn out and knead.

Uncooked Playdough - 2

3 cups Plain flour
1½teaspoons Cream of Tartar *
3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
3 cups Boiling Water
Colouring

Mix the dry ingredients and cooking oil together in a large bowl, then add the boiling water. Stir well until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if the mixture seems too sticky, then turn out and knead.

* Only need to add Cream of Tartar if you intend to keep dough.

Note: By adding Baking Powder (approx 3 teaspoons) to the above uncooked playdough recipes you will get a softer feeling/ textured dough.

We used to love letting the kids free with extra flour/oats etc (they'd pretend to be baking), glitter and what ever else was around!! Making colourless playdough was also loved.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:56:29 PM by MiniMe » Logged

"There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally".
*Little*Pink*Fairy*
Official Timewaster

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »

Can I use corn flour for play dough or does it have to be plain flour?

Child I work with is allergic but still want her to experience this (its when she eats it but I don't want to take the risk incase I turn my back or I miss a bit and its in her mouth)

tigger
Official Timewaster

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »

Im not sure you can use corn flour as when you add water it forms a semi solid which does not hold its form. However she could do corn flour and water and experiment with that/
Louweese

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »

What exactly is her allergy because I've seen a few gluten free recipes on pinterest or I have a wholemeal flour recipe
Louweese

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »

What exactly is her allergy because I've seen a few gluten free recipes on pinterest or I have a wholemeal flour recipe

Once again the imagination tree provides you within answer

http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2012/01/recipe-for-white-play-dough.html?m=1
annabanana

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »

yay! louweeese your a star! i'd never seen the imagination tree but it looks amazing, will be fab for my Kiddos with Autism, thanks so much!

Grin
*Little*Pink*Fairy*
Official Timewaster

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »

That looks perfect!

Thank you!!!  Grin  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 |   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: